Table of Contents

New Student? Please Click Here to start our DMV-licensed Nevada driver education online course to fulfill state required 30 hours of classroom instruction and take the driving skills test when you turn 16. Our course will fully prepare you to pass your learner's permit test, start behind-the-wheel practice, and get your license!

The Nevada Driver's License

Driving is a privilege... not a right!

This is a picture of the word 'license.'

Driving is a privilege, granted and revocable at any time.

Anyone who operates a motor vehicle or motor driven cycle on any public roadway in the state of Nevada must have a driver's license. You may apply for a Nevada driver's license at any full-service Drivers License location. Driving is a privilege that the state grants when someone meets the prescribed criteria. Thus there is no right to drive. As a holder of a Nevada driver's license, you are merely exercising a privilege granted to you. As a conscientious driver, you should make every attempt to keep up to date on new construction, potential hazards, changes to Nevada driving laws, and anything else that may affect you on the road. Furthermore, you should always try to keep a positive attitude when behind the wheel.

Applying for a Nevada Driver's License

This is a picture of two different types of Nevada Driver Licenses.

Any Nevada resident who wishes to legally drive upon Nevada public roads must have a driver's license.

If applying for a Nevada driver's license for the first time, you will need to fill out an application at a full service Drivers License location. If you are under 18 years of age, your parent or guardian will need to co-sign your application. You must be at least 16 years old to be eligible for a driver's license.

Who must be licensed?

  • Anyone who lives or works in Nevada and plans to drive anywhere in the state.
  • Anyone who just moved to Nevada from another state.

Who doesn't need a Nevada driver's license?

  • An active-duty member of the United States Armed Forces who has a valid out-of-state license.
  • A non-resident, such as an out-of-state student or tourist, with a valid out-of-state license.

What if I just moved to Nevada?

If you are a new resident, you have 30 days to apply for a Nevada driver's license. You also must register your vehicle(s) within 60 days or when you get your new Nevada driver's license, whichever occurs first. If you don't register your vehicle in time, you face a minimum fine of $250. A resident of Nevada can only have one driver's license, so you must surrender an out-of-state license or identification card if you have one to get a Nevada license.

Anytime you apply for a Nevada driver's license, you must have your vision tested, but all other tests can be waived if:

  • You have a valid out-of-state license that is the same class of license you are applying for in Nevada.
  • You have had no more than two moving violations in the past four years and have not had your license suspended, revoked or cancelled.
  • There are no restrictions on your license that will need to be reevaluated.

Nevada uses the national Problem Driver Point System to check all driving records before issuing a license. If your driving privilege is cancelled, revoked or suspended in another state, you will not be able to get a Nevada driver's license until you clear up your record.

Nevada Driver's License Features

Central Issuance

The new cards will feature 15 security features, including ghost images and precision printing. The major change for motorists is that you will no longer receive your license at the DMV office when you apply. You will receive a temporary permit at the office. The actual license will be produced in a secure, centralized facility and mailed. This will not only improve the security of the licensing process, it will also give the department additional time and tools to help detect fraudulent applications.

Advanced Secure Issuance (ASI)

Starting January 2010, the Nevada DMV issues new driver's licenses and identification cards that meet the requirements of the Real ID Act, which is intended to make state-issued identification more secure. One of the features of an ASI card is a gold star on the upper right-hand corner of the card. Most of the documents required to prove your identity, date of birth, Social Security number (SSN) and lawful status remain the same (the list of acceptable documentation is below). In addition to these documents, you must provide proof of a Nevada primary residence.

Those who have a Nevada driver's license issued prior to January 2010 do not need to go to a DMV office to get the new license early; they may wait until their normal renewal date. These licenses are still valid for official federal purposes, such as to board a commercial aircraft or enter a federal building, as they already meet federal requirements.


When you apply, you will need to show proof of:

  • Your name, including history of any name changes
  • Your age / date of birth (a document containing your age or date of birth should also have your name)
  • Your Social Security number (if you have one; it must be a separate document)
  • Your Nevada residence address

You must present ONE proof of each type with the exception of your Nevada address. For that, you must provide TWO proofs. Any documents you present must be original, except where noted below.

Acceptable documents for proof of identity (one form required):

This is a photograph of a passport.

A valid U.S. passport may be used as proof of U.S. citizenship.

  • An original or certified copy of your birth certificate issued by a state or local office of public health, vital records or vital statistics or an equivalent office in the United States, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory (DMV will not accept a hospital-issued birth certificate)
  • A U.S. passport or passport card (must be valid and unexpired)
  • A certificate of citizenship or naturalization
  • A consular report of birth abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State
  • A permanent resident card (I-551)
  • An arrival-departure record (I-94) with a valid visa and foreign passport
  • An employment authorization document
  • A Nevada Advanced Secure Issuance driver's license or ID card

Acceptable documents for proof of Social Security number (one form required):

  • A Social Security card
  • W-2 form
  • SSA form 1099 or SSA-1099A
  • Pay stub with your name and full SSN
  • Evidence of no SSN – Form SSA L676

Acceptable documents for proof of name change (one form required, if any name changes; must reflect name change history from birth to present):

  • A marriage certificate (to match number of name changes; must present a divorce decree if name changed based on divorce)
  • A certificate of registered domestic partnership
  • A divorce decree (to match number of name changes after divorce)
  • A court-ordered name change
  • Adoption papers

Acceptable documents for proof of Nevada residency (two forms required; copies accepted)

  • A certification of Nevada residency (Form DMV-005) on a form provided by the DMV
  • As a minor applicant, you must have the Certification of Nevada Residency signed by a parent, step-parent, or legal guardian. The parent or guardian must reside at the same residence address, accompany you to the DMV office, and present proof of residency in the form of one document listed below.
  • A property tax record, utility bills, mortgage document or deed, rent receipts, a lease or rental agreement
  • Enrollment records, student identification card reflecting the residence address, or other documentation that you are physically attending an educational institution located in Nevada
  • Motel, hotel, campground or recreational vehicle park receipts showing that you have been residing in Nevada for 30 consecutive days
  • Original and current certificate of vehicle liability insurance (not handwritten) reflecting the residence addresses issued by a Nevada-based carrier
  • Credit card statement, medical bills, cellular telephone bill, or other statement or request for payment mailed to the residence address dated within the previous 60 days
  • A statement from a relief agency or shelter that you have no actual residence, but currently receive assistance in Nevada
  • Fuel receipts, motel receipts, or other documents showing you have lived in multiple states (more than two) during the last 12 months, and in Nevada for at least 30 consecutive days, as evidence that you do not primarily reside in another state
  • Voter registration card issued by the Nevada Secretary of State reflecting the residence address
  • Documents showing you have a current account (open for at least 30 days) at a bank or credit union in Nevada
  • Military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) to evidence Nevada residency when deployed outside of Nevada
  • A document showing receipt of public assistance from an agency of the State of Nevada
  • A notarized statement from a property owner that you are residing with them or on their property without a rental or lease agreement

Journal Question

WHAT DO YOU HAVE? To apply for an instructional permit or driver's license, you need to bring proof of your identity, proof of your Social Security number, proof of any name changes, and proof of Nevada primary residence (at least four documents total). Look at the documents you do have and list below what you can bring with you to establish your identity and prove you have a Social Security number (if you have one). (Later in this module we will look at what else you need to bring as a teen driver.)

[ CLICK HERE to add an entry to your Journal ]


This is a photo of students working in a classroom.

The second exam you must take is a written exam.

To qualify for your Nevada driver's license, you must pass three tests: a vision screening, a written exam, and a road test. The vision test determines if you can see well enough to drive safely. If you wear contact lenses or glasses, wear them for the test. If you do require corrective lenses, it will be indicated on your license by a restriction.

The second exam you must take is a written exam. This tests your knowledge of Nevada State traffic laws, safe driving methods, and awareness of highway signs and markings. The exam is generally given on paper or on a computer. If you are unable to read or understand the written test, you are allowed to request an oral exam. The exam is available in both English and Spanish.

The third exam you must take is the road test, which determines your ability to operate your vehicle in a variety of situations. When you come in for your road test, the examiner will check your vehicle to make sure it is in safe working condition and that it has all the necessary equipment.

The examiner will not let you take the test if he or she believes the vehicle to be unsafe, or if you do not have the following:

This is an illustration of a Nevada license plate.

Your vehicle must have license plates and current registration.

  • Vehicle license plates and current registration
  • Proof of insurance or financial responsibility
  • Headlights, taillights, brake lights, and turn signals
  • A horn
  • Seat belts, for both yourself and the examiner
  • Tires in good condition
  • Windshield wipers
  • Working brakes, muffler and speedometer
  • A clean and safe seat next to the driver for the examiner

During the road test, passengers are not allowed in the vehicle, unless there is a special need. You will not be asked to violate any traffic laws while taking the exam.

You will fail the exam automatically if you do any of the following:

  • If you are involved in an accident that is found to be your fault (i.e. you caused it).
  • If you hit a pedestrian.
  • If you drive so recklessly you might have caused an accident.
  • If you violate a traffic law.
  • If you use your cell phone.
  • If you refuse to drive as the examiner asks.

The following are things the examiner will be testing you on:

  • Finding and using the vehicle's controls, such as the brake, accelerator, signals, horn, windshield wipers, and more.
  • Starting the vehicle.
  • Releasing the brake.
  • Checking to see if the way is clear.
  • Giving the proper signal at the proper time.
  • Driving at the proper speed.
  • Stopping the vehicle.
  • Properly backing up.
  • Making at least two right turns and two left turns.
  • Parking on a hill.
  • Entering and leaving intersections.
  • Understanding and obeying traffic signs and signals.
This is a photo of a speedometer.

The examiner will be looking at your speed while driving.

The examiner will also be looking for good driving skills such as:

  • Your awareness of the traffic around you.
  • Your speed while driving.
  • The distance you leave between yourself and the vehicle you are following.
  • Yielding the right-of-way when necessary.
  • Obeying lane markings and using the proper lanes.

Remember, the examiner is there to test you, so it is a good idea not to ask questions while taking the test. If you have any questions about what you did wrong, ask after the examiner. Once you pass all three exams, you will be issued a Nevada driver's license. The license will be valid for four years and will expire on your birthday. Licenses that are issued to international students or instructors are valid for only one year, but they can be extended with acceptable documents.

Driver's License Restrictions

Many medical conditions impair your ability to operate a vehicle safely. If you have any of these conditions, the state will issue you a restricted license. A license with restrictions is just like a regular license except that you can drive only if you meet specific conditions. If you have this type of license and disregard the restrictions, you may be charged with driving without a license. The following is a list of the most common restrictions:

This is a photo of eyeglasses.

Corrective lenses needed is a common license restriction.

  • Corrective lens needed
  • Daylight driving only
  • Outside rearview mirrors needed
  • Automatic transmission only
  • Seat cushion
  • Restricted to 45 mph
  • Special hand device
  • Extension on foot device

Restricted licenses may be issued to people with special circumstances, such as those who are 14 or older who have shown family hardship or who need to drive to and from school. You will also receive a restricted license after you have served the required suspension or revocation periods.


These are the Nevada driver's licenses.

Nevada driver's licenses come in two formats, depending on the age of the driver.

The Nevada driver's license is produced at a secure facility using digital technology, which allows the DMV to add a number of security features to help protect your identity. On the front of each license are digitized images of the driver, the mountains of northern Nevada, and various state symbols, plus the driver's signature. The back of the license has a 2-D barcode and explanations of the license class and any restrictions, along with security enhancements. Your picture and digital signature are both stored on a DMV computer system. The DMV uses these when issuing you a duplicate or replacement license. This saves time and money, and it also ensures that only you can get the duplicate or replacement.

Nevada driver's licenses come in two formats, depending on the age of the driver. There is one main difference between the regular license and the Under 21 license (two if you are also under 18). That would be the vertical orientation of the Under 21 license where the card is longer from top to bottom (see the image on the right above). For those under 18, the statement "Under 18 Until" is in red and shows the date you turn 18. Why the differences? In places with age restrictions, they make it much easier for a person to know if you are underage. As a teenager, you will receive the Under 21 license, and if you are under 18, your license will have the red "Under 18 Until" statement.

Nevada has a Central Issuance (CI) program that handles all driver's licenses, instruction permits, and ID cards. This means that the DMV does not issue these documents at any of the offices; instead, they are sent from a separate, secure facility. When you go to a DMV office to apply for an instruction permit or driver's license, you will be issued a paper interim document instead of a card. This interim document will be valid for up to 30 days or until you receive your instruction permit or license, which should arrive in the mail within 10 days. Be aware that the interim document is not valid for identification, so you must carry some other form of identification while you wait for your card.


There are different types of vehicles that you can drive in Nevada, and they may also require different skills. As a result, you will have to take additional road and knowledge tests. Nevada offers different licenses that allow you to drive specific types of vehicles. Below is a summary:

A - Combination vehicles with a gross combination weight rating over 26,000 pounds; or a trailer over 10,000 pounds.

B - A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating over 26,000 pounds; this class may also tow a vehicle under 10,000 pounds.

C - This is the most common class of license. You may operate a car, van, or pickup truck. This class also lets you tow a vehicle under 10,000 pounds.

M - This classification allows you to operate a motorcycle or moped.
Endorsements you can add to your class of license:
J - This endorsement is added to a Class C license, and it will allow you to tow a vehicle over 10,000 pounds.

R - This endorsement is added to a Class C license, and it will allow you to tow a combination of vehicles with a total length of no more than 70 feet.
  • Firefighters - when operating emergency equipment.
  • Farmers - when transporting supplies within 150 miles to and from the farm (this does not allow the transporting of hazardous materials).
  • Military - when driving military vehicles on active military duty.

To get an endorsement on your license, you need to take additional tests to prove you understand and can handle the extra responsibility.

Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

This is a photo of a truck.

To receive a Nevada commercial driver's license, an applicant must meet strict licensing requirements.

To receive a Nevada commercial driver's license, an applicant must meet strict licensing requirements. This includes passing additional knowledge and skills tests. If you want more information on commercial driver licensing programs and licensing requirements, you should refer to the Nevada Commercial License Handbook. Any vehicle or combination of vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property is considered a commercial motor vehicle if:

  • The vehicle has a GVWR or GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more.
  • The vehicle is designed to transport 15 or more passengers.
  • The vehicle transports hazardous materials.


These is a Nevada teen's driver's licenses.

A minor must have a parent or guardian co-sign his/her license/permit application.

As a minor applying for a Nevada driver's license or instruction permit, you must have a parent or guardian co-sign your application, particularly the financial responsibility section. You will also need to sign an affidavit stating that you understand the DMV may take the following actions against your license:

  • Suspension for 90 days if a blood, breath or urine test indicates at least 0.02 percent but less than 0.08 percent by weight of alcohol in your blood.
  • Revocation for 90 days for any court finding of driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.
  • Suspension or issuance of your license delayed for up to two years for:
    • Placing graffiti on or defacing public or private property;
    • Any criminal activity involving alcohol or a controlled substance;
    • Using, possessing, selling or distributing a controlled substance; or
    • Purchasing, consuming or possessing an alcoholic beverage.
  • Suspension or issuance of your license delayed for up to one year for handling or possessing a firearm or having a firearm under your control. For a second offense, your license will be suspended, or issuance delayed, for two years.
  • Suspension for 30 days to 6 months, or issuance of your license delayed for 30 days, if the court or DMV determines that you need supervision because of habitual truancy. For a second offense, your license will be suspended for 60 days to 1 year or issuance of your license will be delayed for 60 days.
  • Suspension for a period of not less than 6 months but not more than 2 years if you are found guilty of participating in or organizing an unauthorized speed contest on a public highway.

Class C Instructional Permit

Anyone who is at least 15 and a half years of age may apply for a Nevada instructional permit. In order to get this permit, you need to fill out an application and show proof of age, name, and Social Security number. You must come in person to sign the application at a DMV office and have a parent or guardian sign the financial responsibility section. You will then need to pass a vision test and a knowledge exam. The knowledge exam will test your awareness of Nevada traffic laws, safe driving practices, and highway signs and markings. The permit will be valid for twelve months from the time it is issued, and you must carry it with you anytime you are operating a motor vehicle. When driving, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is 21 years or older and has had at least one year of licensed driving experience. This experienced, licensed driver must also be seated in the front beside you at all times.

Class C Driver's License

This is a photo of a student taking a driving test.

You must complete at least 50 hours of supervised driving experience to get a license at 16 or 17.

If you plan on obtaining your driver's license when you reach 16 or 17 years of age, you must meet all of the following conditions before the DMV will issue you a license, in addition to the requirements above:

  • You must complete a licensed 30 hour driver education course if one is offered within a 30-mile radius of your residential address or if you can complete a course online.
  • You must have completed at least 50 hours of supervised driving experience, with at least 10 hours at night. As we just discussed, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is 21 years or older and has had at least one year of licensed driving experience. This person may be a parent, guardian, or anyone else as long as he or she meets these requirements.
  • You must maintain a log on a form provided by the DMV. It must contain the dates and times of the hours you had supervised driving experience. For DMV to accept it, the log must be signed by a parent or legal guardian. If you are an emancipated minor, you need to have a licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age or a licensed driving instructor to sign the log.
  • You must not be at fault in a collision nor have a conviction for a moving traffic violation or a crime involving alcohol or a controlled substance during the 6 months prior to applying for the driver's license.
  • You must have held the permit for at least 6 months before you can apply for a driver's license.

If you cannot find a driver training course within a 30-mile radius of your home and you do not have Internet access, you must complete 50 additional hours of supervised driving experience (for a total of 100 hours, with at least 10 hours at night), note the extra hours in the log, and have the form signed by a qualifying individual.

You must bring your instructional permit, the completed log sheet, an Affidavit for Minor to Be Licensed (form DLD-102), and a certificate of completion of a driver education course (or an additional 50 hours of supervised driving experience, as described above) when you come in for the driving skills test.


Once DMV issues you a driver's license, you must adhere to the following restrictions:

  • You may not operate a motor vehicle between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. except to drive to or from a scheduled event, such as for school or work. If you are stopped by law enforcement, you need to provide evidence of that event in order to avoid being cited. In some places the curfew may be different. If it is earlier, you will also have to get off the road earlier. If it is later, you still must get off the road by 10 p.m.
  • For the first six months after being issued your driver's license, you may not transport a person under the age of 18 unless he or she is a member of your immediate family. If you violate this provision, this restriction is extended by six more months on the first offense. Any subsequent violations mean a fine of $250 and/or extended time set by the court to comply with the requirement. This does not add any demerit points to your record and will not lead the DMV to suspend or revoke your driving privilege.

You will not be stopped for violating only these requirements. Any restriction or suspension that results from a violation of either requirement will remain in effect until the end of the term of restriction or suspension, even if you turn 18 before that time. If your parent or guardian knowingly allows you to drive without a license, both you and your parent or guardian will get in trouble. Your parent or guardian will be liable for all financial penalties associated with this violation and any other traffic offense you commit.

License Cancellation

If you are under 18, the parent or guardian who signed the financial responsibility statement when you applied for your permit can request its cancellation at any time for any reason. When it is cancelled, you will be required to surrender your permit to the DMV.

Why Pick on Teens?

To adults, teenagers seem to have an unlimited amount of energy. You probably feel like you can go on forever sometimes. Unfortunately, that can prove counterproductive behind the wheel. Statistics show that teen drivers have the highest crash risk of any age group. Many states, including Nevada, have a special licensing program that gradually takes teen drivers through stages before granting them a full license. This allows them to gain some needed experience to help them truly be ready for the road.

Risk Factors

This is a photo of teen drivers.

Teen drivers are also more susceptible to distractions.

What makes driving so hazardous for young drivers? Most traffic safety experts point to their limited experience behind the wheel, as well as their lack of maturity. Teens also take more risks, including behind the wheel. In addition, the younger a driver is, the higher the risk. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), drivers involved in fatal crashes who were 16 years of age were more likely to have crashed due to driver error. In 2004, 78% of the fatal crashes in which they were involved were due to driver error, compared to 69% for those between 17 and 19. Older drivers, of course, do make mistakes; 55% of the crashes involving drivers between 20 and 49 were due to driver error.

According to NHTSA, the problems that teen drivers face include the following:

  • Driver error: Teen drivers crash more often due to driver error.
  • Speeding: Teens have a higher rate of crashing when excessive speed is involved.
  • Single-vehicle crashes: A higher percentage of fatal crashes involving teens are single-vehicle crashes, usually due to high speed causing loss of control.
  • Passengers: Fatal crashes are more likely to occur when teen drivers have teen passengers. The risk of crashing increases with each additional passenger.
  • Night driving: The fatal crash rate for drivers 16 years of age is about twice as high as it is during the day.
  • Seat belt use: Teens are less likely to wear their seat belts than adults.
  • Alcohol: Alcohol affects teens differently than adults, so although they may appear to tolerate alcohol better, they may drink more, which causes problems. However, their involvement with alcohol is lower than for other age groups as they appear to heed the warnings regarding drinking and driving.

Teen drivers are also more susceptible to distractions. While passengers are the top source of distractions, there are others, such as cell phones and text messaging devices.

Journal Question

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Many traffic safety experts believe that the licensing process for young drivers (known as "graduated licensing") should consist of three stages: a supervised learner's stage (instructional permit), intermediate stage (Class C license with restrictions), and a graduated stage where the young driver gets full driving privileges. Young Nevadans do have to go through three stages before getting full privileges (at 18). However, these experts propose a more restrictive process than the one currently in place in Nevada. For example, although the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) rates Nevada as having a good system, it recommends the following additional limitations:

  • Minors should be at least 16 before they may apply for an instructional permit. In Nevada, minors must be at least 15 years 6 months old.
  • Teen passenger restrictions should last until a driver is at least 18 years old. Nevada does not allow minors to have teen passengers other than immediate family for the first six months.
  • Nighttime and passenger restrictions should be strictly enforced. Nevada allows these restrictions to be enforced only if a minor is stopped for a traffic violation.

While some provisions of Nevada's teen licensing law meet or exceed the minimum levels recommended by IIHS, the above shows that it falls short in others. Consider the pros and cons of having a more restrictive teen licensing process. Should teen drivers in Nevada have more restrictions placed on them, or fewer? Briefly explain your reasons below.

[ CLICK HERE to add an entry to your Journal ]


This is a photo of a motorcycle.

Before you can get a Nevada motorcycle license or endorsement, you must first obtain a motorcycle instruction permit.

Before you can get a Nevada motorcycle license or endorsement, you must first obtain a motorcycle instruction permit. In order to apply for a Nevada motorcycle instruction permit, you will need to:

  • Be at least 15 and a half years old.
  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge test.
  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Pass the general driver's license knowledge test.

The permit you receive will be valid for eight months from the date it is issued. This permit allows you to practice your motorcycle riding skills while accompanied by a licensed driver who is in direct visual supervision and who:

  • Has a valid Nevada motorcycle license.
  • Has at least one year of motorcycle driving experience.
  • Is at least 21 years of age.

When you hold a motorcycle instruction permit, the following restrictions will apply:

  • You may only drive during daylight hours.
  • You must ride in direct supervision of a licensed motorcycle driver.
  • You may not drive on any freeways or high-speed roadways.

To be eligible for a Nevada motorcycle driver's license (Class M or M-Z), you need to:

  • Be at least 16 years old.
  • Pass the general driver's license knowledge exam.
  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge test.
  • Pass the Motorcycle Operators Skills Test (MOST).

Similar to the general driver's license test, you will have a pre-trip inspection before taking your motorcycle-driving test. You will need to know how to use your motorcycle's controls and equipment. You will be tested on using the choke, gearshift, brakes, throttle, starter, ignition, signals, lights, horn, and clutch. The examiner will then test you on normal starts and stops, quick stops, turns and other maneuvers. If you have a motorcycle license from another state that uses a testing process like MOST, you won't have to take the road test.

Note: Always wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. You should also wear a face shield or goggles if your motorcycle does not have a windshield or screen.


Every person applying for a Nevada driver's license or permit is required to pay all associated fees. This includes renewals and duplicates.

Standard License Fees:

Testing Fee (knowledge and drive tests) $25 first time ($10 retest)
Original Non-Commercial License or Instruction Permit $22 ($17 if 65 or older)
Renewal $22 ($17 if 65 or older)
Late Renewal In Person (Expired Over 30 Days) $32 ($27 if 65 or older)
Duplicate Driver License $17
Change of Name $8
Change of Address $3
Identification Cards (Under 18) $6 (Original, Renewal or Duplicate)
Identification Cards (18-64) $12 (Original, Renewal or Duplicate)
Identification Cards (65 or older) $7 (Original or Duplicate) $3 (Renewal in person)
Identification Card Renewal (Internet or Mail) $3 (under 18) $9 (18-64) No Charge (65 or older)

Homeless Exemption

If you are homeless, the DMV will waive the fee only for a duplicate driver's license or identification card. To obtain this waiver, you would need to go to a Drivers License office in person and bring proof of identity, the license application, and the Declaration of Homeless Status form (DLD-128). The DMV suggests paying the photo fee because you will be required to pay this back if you are employed the next time you renew.

Commercial License Fees:

This is a photo of a semi truck

A commercial license has its own fees that an applicant must pay.

Original CDL or Transfer (with all tests) $87
CDL Transfer (with Knowledge test only or no tests) $57
CDL Instruction Permit (with Knowledge test) $57
CDL Renewal (with all tests) $87
CDL Renewal (with Knowledge test or no tests) $57
CDL Duplicate $22
Adding a CDL Endorsement $14.00 per endorsement plus $3 photo fee
Driving Skills Test to add or remove a restriction or endorsement $30.00 plus $3 photo fee
Any CDL change of information $12

Duplicate License

If your original license gets lost, stolen, or destroyed, you must apply for a duplicate immediately. Go to a Drivers License office to apply for a duplicate. You will be asked to show proof of your identity and age. The DMV will accept the same documents you provided to get your original license or one of the forms listed below:

  • U.S. Military ID or Military Dependent ID Card
  • DD214 Report of Separation, original or certified copy
  • Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood, issued by the federal government
  • Veterans ID card, with your name, date of birth and photograph
  • Permit to re-enter the U.S. (I-327)
  • Refugee travel documents
  • U.S. Armed Forces Driver License
  • Nevada Concealed Weapons Permit
  • FAA Pilots License
  • Foreign Driver License

License Renewals

The date your license will expire is on the front of your driver's license. The purpose of expiration dates on driver's licenses is to allow the DMV to re-evaluate the driving skills and knowledge of drivers from time to time. DMV will typically send license renewal notices that you should get within 30 days of your license's expiration date. You should apply for a renewal before your license expires. Most Nevada driver's licenses are valid for four years and expire on the driver's birthday. If you used immigration documents as proof of identity, your license will expire on the departure date shown on the documents or in four years, whichever is sooner. When you renew in person, you may be asked to take a vision screening, a knowledge test, and a road test, depending on your driving history. DMV will allow certain drivers to renew by Internet or mail if they meet certain requirements. To qualify, you must:

  • Have obtained or renewed your license within the last four years;
  • Be at least 25 years of age by your next birthday; and
  • Not have had more than two moving violations or any license suspension, revocation, cancellation or denial within the last four years.

If you qualify for renewal by Internet or mail, you will receive a Driver License Renew by Mail application prior to your license's expiration date. Otherwise you will get a postcard telling you to come in person to renew. Every driver must renew in person once every eight years regardless of driving history. It is your responsibility to renew your license whether or not you receive a notice.


As previously mentioned, driving is a privilege granted to you by the State of Nevada. In order to keep that privilege, you must continue to drive safely, obey traffic laws, and respect the driving rights of other motorists. If you do not, the DMV can suspend, revoke or cancel your driving privilege.

This is a picture of a suspended license.

You can get your driving privilege back only after you serve your suspension.

Suspension - When your license or permit is suspended, your privilege to drive is withdrawn for a period of time. The length depends on the severity of the violation. The more serious violations usually call for a longer suspension. You can get your driving privilege back only after you serve your suspension. But you must meet certain conditions before the DMV reinstates, or returns, your license. These include paying a reinstatement fee and possibly taking a traffic safety course.

Revocation - In some cases, the DMV may instead revoke your license or permit. Similar to a suspension, you will not be able to drive for a certain amount of time. However, a revocation does not withdraw your driving privilege but terminates it. If you want to drive again, you must apply for a new license or permit after the end of your revocation period. You also must pay additional fees.

Cancellation - The parent or guardian who signed the financial responsibility statement when you applied for your permit can request its cancellation for any reason. He or she only needs to bring a completed Minor Affidavit form (DLD-38) to a DMV office. The DMV can also cancel your permit if you are convicted of violating traffic laws or other offenses. The DMV may cancel your driver's license for an incorrect or fraudulent license application or if your check for driver license fees is returned for insufficient funds.

Delayed Issuance - Sometimes a suspension or revocation does not work because a person is a juvenile who is not yet eligible for a driver's license. In certain cases, the DMV simply may not allow you to apply for a license for a certain period of time once you become eligible for one, thus delaying your driving career. For example, if you make it a habit to miss school and a judge subsequently determines that you need to be supervised, the DMV will not allow you to apply for a license for the first 30 days after you turn 16.

License Reinstatement - Once your suspension or revocation period is over, your driving privilege is not automatically reinstated. You are required to reapply for a license at a full service DMV office. You will also need to pay any required reinstatement fees. Before you go in to reapply, make sure you meet the requirements for reinstatement. Since the actions DMV takes against you are separate from your court case, you must go through these procedures even if your criminal charges are dismissed or reduced.


This is a photo of a police badge.

Traffic accidents and violations become part of your record.

The State of Nevada uses the Demerit Point System to keep track of motorist accidents and moving violations. Traffic accidents and violations become part of your record, even ones that take place in other states. Moving violations are reportable to your insurance company for three years, and DUI-related convictions remain on your record for seven years. Every traffic violation and DUI-related conviction has a pre-assigned point value. The Department of Motor Vehicles is notified by the court of the conviction, and the points are then entered on your record. The following is a list of some common violations and their point value:

  • Reckless Driving... 8 points
  • Careless Driving... 6 points
  • Failure to give information or render aid at the scene of an accident (property damage)... 6 points
  • Speeding 16 mph or more over the posted limit in a school zone... 6 points
  • Passing a stopped school bus with its red signal lights flashing… 4 points
  • Following too closely... 4 points
  • Failure to yield right-of-way... 4 points
  • Disobeying a traffic signal or traffic sign... 4 points
  • Disobeying a police officer, flagger or school crossing guard… 4 points
  • Failure to yield to a pedestrian... 4 points
  • Disobeying railroad crossing restrictions… points
  • Driving too slowly, impeding traffic... 2 points
  • Failure to dim headlights... 2 points


  • 41 mph or more over posted limit... 5 points
  • 31 to 40 mph over posted limit… 4 points
  • 21 to 30 mph over posted limit… 3 points
  • 11 to 20 mph over posted limit... 2 points
  • 1 to 10 mph over posted limit... 1 points

*There are additional penalties for certain traffic violations committed by a person with a commercial driver's license, and additional demerit points may be assigned.

If you accumulate 12 or more points in any 12-month period your license will be suspended. If you are in danger of getting too many points, you may remove three points from your record by attending a traffic safety course. If you have three to eleven points on your record, you may have three points removed by attending a DMV-licensed traffic safety course. You may attend one of these courses once every 12 months to remove points from your record. The points will be removed upon completion. However, the record of the conviction remains part of your driving history. The license review department will notify you if your record and total points show you may have trouble driving safely.

If you have been convicted of two or more moving traffic offenses in separate incidents within 12 months, you will be required to appear personally in court after any subsequent arrest or citation. Normally you can have your lawyer show up for you, but this option will not be available after so many traffic violations.

Under certain circumstances you may lose your Nevada driving privilege and your license without being assigned demerit points. This is most often done with major traffic offenses, but you can lose your license for non-traffic offenses. The following are some reasons why the DMV may suspend or revoke your driving privilege:

  • DUI - If a breath, blood, or urine test shows that you were driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or if you are convicted of DUI or refusal to submit to testing.
  • Street Racing - If you participate in or organize an illegal speed contest on a public highway.
  • Hit-and-Run (injury or death) - If you are involved in an accident where someone is injured or killed and you do not stop at the scene or leave before the police arrive.
  • Failure to Appear - If you do not pay your fine or show up at court for a traffic ticket.
  • No Insurance - If you are caught driving without the necessary liability insurance, your vehicle registration and drivers license will be suspended.
  • Failure to Maintain Insurance - If you are required to show proof of financial responsibility because your license was suspended or revoked, and do not do so.
  • Child Support - If you do not pay a court-ordered child support payment.
  • Failure to Properly Secure a Child - If you are convicted three or more times for failing to properly secure a child in a child restraint system in your vehicle.
  • Graffiti - If you are convicted of a graffiti violation.
  • Firearms - If you are a juvenile and are found guilty of certain firearm-related offenses.
  • Alcohol and Drugs - If you are a juvenile and are convicted of buying, drinking, or possessing alcohol, or using, buying, possessing or selling any controlled substance.
  • Truancy - If you are a juvenile and are habitually absent from school, the DMV will either take away your driving privilege or delay issuing you a license.


This is a photo of an officer and a prisoner.

When a police officer directs you to stop or pull over, it is in your best interests to comply!

Evading a Police Officer - Not everyone likes being pulled over by the police, so some try to evade, or get away from, the officer who tried to stop them. If you evade or ignore a peace officer signaling you to stop, you may be charged with a misdemeanor, which may result in up to 6 months in prison and/or a fine of $1,000 with a guilty verdict. If you are convicted of DUI, the charge of evasion becomes a felony. However, if this act results in death or substantial bodily harm to another person, you will face up to 20 years in prison, a fine of up to $50,000, or both. When a police officer directs you to stop or pull over, it is in your best interests to comply!

Negligence - If you kill someone through simple negligence (careless driving), such as going through a stop sign you didn't see, you will be charged with a misdemeanor, which carries a minimum 1-year jail sentence and a fine of $1,000. In addition, DMV will revoke your driver's license for one year.

Reckless Driving - It is illegal to drive a vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property. In addition, it is illegal to drive in an unauthorized speed contest on a public highway (street racing). Both of these are considered reckless driving, which is a misdemeanor. You will have to pay a fine and may also spend up to six months in jail if you are convicted of reckless driving. A first offense will result in a fine of $250 to $1,000. For a second offense, you must pay a fine of $1,000 to $1,500. Upon a third offense, the fine is $1,500 to $2,000. The DMV will also suspend your driver's license for six months to two years. However, if this act results in death or substantial bodily harm to another person, the offense becomes a category B felony, which may result in a prison term of one to six years, a fine of up to $5,000, or both.

While it may be fun to race your car, it is also dangerous. If you are convicted of being in a speed contest, or even for organizing one, you will also have to perform community service. For a first offense, you must spend a minimum of 50 hours; for a second, 100 hours; for a third or subsequent offense, 200 hours minimum. The court will also order that your car be impounded, or taken away, for 15 days for a first offense and 30 days for any subsequent offenses.

Aggressive Driving - In Nevada, aggressive driving is a criminal offense. You are considered to have committed this crime if, during any single, continuous period of driving within the course of 1 mile, you do each of the following:

This is a photo of an aggressive driver.

In Nevada, aggressive driving is a criminal offense.

  1. Commit at least one act of speeding, either in violation of the basic speed law or in a school or work zone.
  2. Commit at least two or more of the following (or one more than once):
    1. Failing to obey a traffic sign, signal or other official traffic control.
    2. Overtaking and passing another vehicle on the right by driving off the paved portion of the road (i.e. using the shoulder).
    3. Improper or unsafe driving upon a multiple-lane road with marked lanes.
    4. Following another vehicle too closely, or tailgating.
    5. Failing to yield the right-of-way when required.
  3. Create an immediate hazard to another vehicle or person.

Aggressive driving is a misdemeanor which may, upon conviction, result in either a fine or both the fine and a jail sentence. A conviction or even prosecution need not be obtained for the acts above, only the act of aggressive driving itself. Below are some penalties to expect.

  • First conviction
    • Fine of $250 to $1,000 and possibly a jail sentence of up to 6 months.
    • Attendance of a traffic safety course at the offender's own expense.
    • Possible license revocation for up to 30 days.
  • Second conviction
    • Fine of $1,000 to $1,500 and possibly a jail sentence of up to 6 months.
    • License revocation for one year (if it is a second offense within 2 years).
  • Third or subsequent conviction
    • Fine of $1,500 to $2,000 and possibly a jail sentence of up to 6 months.
    • License revocation for one year (if it is a third or subsequent offense within 2 years).

The above applies only to incidents that do not result in injury or death. In these cases, you may be charged under the reckless driving law.


This is a photo of the nevada highway patrol logo.

Officers of the law are there to protect and serve the public.

Officers of the law are there to protect and serve the public. Respecting their presence and heeding their commands can only make the roads safer for everyone. Below are various types of officers you may encounter:

Traffic Officer - Traffic officers are primarily in charge of traffic safety, with their primary focus on maintaining clear and safe roadways.

Motorcycle Officer - Motorcycle officers are similar to traffic officers, but they operate on motorcycles.

Patrol Officer - Patrol officers are primarily patrolling and providing for public safety. Traffic matters are not their main focus.

Undercover Officer - Undercover officers are normally engaged in non-traffic activities, but they can also write tickets and make arrests.

Nevada Highway Patrol Officer - These officers primarily patrol highways and freeways, with the majority of their citations written for excessive speed violations. Remember: Speed leads to collisions, which leads to fatalities.

Transit Police Officer - Transit police have full police powers to arrest and ticket, but normally patrol only certain areas where the rapid transit agencies they are affiliated with operate.

College Police Officer - College/University police have full police powers to arrest and ticket, but normally stay within areas specific to their College or University campus.

School Police Officer - These officers have full power to arrest and ticket drivers within school property. If the local school district superintendent authorizes it, school police may also issue traffic citations on streets that are adjacent to school property.

Security Private Patrol Officers - Security or private patrol officers may only make a citizens' arrest. They are not typically affiliated with any police agency.